Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Thing 8: Communication - Web 2.0 Style

1. Instant Messaging - I'm a big fan of instant messaging and have been using it for years in different formats. My YahooMail account has a "chat" feature that allows you to skip sending emails back & forth and chat directly from email (if that person is logged in) or you can download Yahoo Messenger and chat without being in your email. I can also "chat" on my Facebook page to any of my friends that are online when I am. I have also used the "chat" feature that many websites offer for their Tech Support which beats waiting on hold for an operator and usually is sufficient in solving any tech problem I may have.

2. Text Messaging - I am definitely lacking in texting skills. While I can see the benefits of text messaging, I have to say that it takes me longer to text a message than to dial a number and just tell the other person what I need to say. I wasn't born with the texting gene that generations younger than me were born with but I'm learning. Having teenage daughters helps! LOL (that's text chat for "laugh out loud").

3. Web Conferencing - I have attended many webinars and think this tool is absolutely essential in today's workplace. Talk about a time saver! You can attend a training session right at your desk and don't have to waste an hour or more driving to the training session. I have also attended the OPAL training that NEFLIN provided so that I could learn to use this tool for my own training sessions. I believe we will see a lot more web conferencing in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment